Frequently Asked Questions
About Our BARF and PMR Diets
RAW K-9 is truly unique. No other raw food pet company in Australia offers what we do in the way we do:
- We feed your pets – and ours – the same quality meats that we would eat ourselves (that is, human-grade).
- We provide top-quality proteins with a high proportion of the essential amino acids sourced from powerhouse ingredients such as green tripe, game, and raw edible bones.
- We don’t cook our food, so none of the goodness is lost. You won’t find preservatives, artificial additives, or fillers either.
- Our meals are chopped, not minced, because dogs and cats need to tear, bite, chew, and shred their food to benefit from it most.
- Unlike our competitors, we use unprocessed tripe, which is a powerhouse of digestive enzymes and probiotics with heaps of life-giving benefits for your pet.
- Our no-mess, hassle-free pre-packaged meals are made fresh, blast frozen in portion sizes, and delivered to your door. Ready to thaw and serve.
- Our diets are based on science and are overseen by a highly experienced pet nutritionist – Clare, from HUNDE. Our meals have all the essential proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals in the raw, natural form and the specific proportions that are best for your pet.
- Our diets are highly digestible and rich in protective nutrients, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatory foods that promote health and longevity. We go above and beyond the bare minimum because we want your pets to thrive.
- Our diets are full of variety and interest and are designed to keep your pet coming back for more.
- Our modern, hygienic facilities comply with Safe Food Australia Standard 3.2.3, so you can be sure our meals are safe.
RAW K-9 is more than a job for us – it is our life. We are committed to keeping abreast of all the latest developments in pet nutrition so that your – and our – fur babies can live their best lives! You can find out more here.
BARF and Prey Model Raw (PMR) are types of raw food diets. Both BARF and PMR diets include raw meaty bone, muscle meats, and offal, but BARF diets also include vegetables, fruit, fish, nuts/seeds, shellfish, and dairy.
- The BARF Diet (for dogs) stands for ‘biologically appropriate raw food’. This popular diet consists of fresh, uncooked meat, bones, fruits, vegetables, fish, minerals, and supplements. This raw diet has a specific ratio of animal to plant-based ingredients and is nutritionally balanced.
The Prey Model Raw or PMR Diet (for dogs and cats) is modeled on what a dog or cat would eat in nature – entire prey animals. Various animal or prey parts are fed in measured amounts so that over a period, your pet effectively eats the whole prey. Dogs and cats fed this diet get all the nutrients they need from prey animals and the food the prey has eaten.
We feed your pets – and ours – the same quality meats we would eat ourselves. We’re a family-owned Australian company, and all our nutritious and delicious ingredients are fresh and locally sourced from suppliers we know and trust.
The first step is to transition your pet onto our diet. We do this by gradually introducing the RAW K-9 Transitioning range to your pet’s diet by alternating our meals with your fur baby’s regular food. Once this process is successfully completed, we move onto the Basic range. Within each range, you have different levels to choose from:
The BARF Range for Dogs
This range follows the recommended ratios for a Biologically Approved Raw Dog Food diet and includes pumpkin, carrot, kale, apple, hemp seed, wheatgrass powder &/or seaweed powder, and sardines’.
- BARF Transitioning – our starter diet for dogs who have not eaten a raw diet before or are new to our diet. We guide you through our easy-to-follow transition process.
- BARF Basic – our entry-level diet for dogs that have transitioned successfully, or who are raw-fed but new to our range.
- BARF Intermediate – our next-level protein-packed meals are perfect for fit and energetic dogs who have taken to our Basic meals.
- BARF Game – this diet range is ideal for dogs with sensitivities and/or allergies to common muscle meats, like chicken or lamb. Also great for highly active dogs.
- BARF Deluxe – Our premium nutrient-packed raw meal for established raw feeders.
The PMR Range for Dogs
This prey-based range follows the recommended ratios for a Prey Model Raw diet and includes chunky meat, bone, offal, or organs.
- PMR Basic – our entry-level prey model raw diet of easily digested proteins, organ meats and edible bones is for dogs that have transitioned successfully, or are new to our diet.
- PMR Intermediate – our next level protein packed meals are perfect for fit and energetic dogs who have taken to our Basic meals. Contains green beef tripe as well as lots of other raw goodness.
- PMR Game – this diet range of easily digestible game meats is ideal for dogs with sensitivities and/or allergies to common muscle meats, like chicken or lamb. Also great for highly active dogs.
- PMR Deluxe – our premium vitaminnutrient-packed raw meal. We only recommend this meal for established raw feeders as it is richer than the other diets and can cause digestive upset in dogs that are new to raw food.
The PMR Range for Cats
Cats have different nutritional requirements for dogs. Our PMR range mimics what the cat would eat in the wild regarding food content, texture, and variety. It includes a range of complete animal meats that provide the protein, fat, and critical nutrients that cats need (such as taurine, found in heart muscle and red meat.) The meals are fed in large chunks to encourage active gnawing that has mental and physical benefits for cats, including keeping their teeth pearly white.
- PMR Transitioning – our starter PMR diet for cats who have not eaten a raw diet before. We guide you through our easy-to-follow transition process.
- PMR Basic – our entry-level prey model raw diet of easily digested proteins, organ meats, and edible bones is for cats that have transitioned successfully or are new to our diet.
- PMR Intermediate – our next-level protein-packed meals are perfect for cats who have taken to our Basic meals.
- PMR Game – this diet range of easily digestible game meats is ideal for cats with sensitivities and/or allergies to common muscle meats.
- PMR Deluxe – our premium nutrient-packed raw meal. We only recommend this meal for established raw feeders as it is richer than the other diets and can cause digestive upset in cats that are new to raw food.
Yes – and they will thank you for it! At RAW K-9, our BARF for dogs and PMR for cats meals have been formulated to comply with the AAFCO nutritional requirements for all life stages. PMR for dogs does not quite meet the AAFCO standards because this meal is designed for raw feeders who prefer feeding only meat, bone & organs and then adding their own supplements.
The Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) is a private, non-profit, voluntary membership association in the US that, among other things, establishes standard ingredient definitions and nutritional requirements for pet foods.
A balanced raw diet is the closest thing to the ancestral diet your dog or cat was designed to eat. It has many health benefits, including:
- Optimal body condition and weight
- Vibrant skin and coat
- Increased energy and vitality
- Strengthened immune system
- Better oral health
- Stronger bones and improved joint health
- Mental stimulation
- Healthier digestion
- Smaller stools; less gas and odour
- Better urinary tract and kidney health for cats.
Other reported health benefits include better brain and eye health; decreased conditions like arthritis and diabetes; stronger hearts and healthy cells; and a lower risk of cancer.
Starting My Pet On A Raw BARF Or PMR Diet
Our diets are well-researched, nutritionally sound and offer health benefits for dogs or cats. If your pet is entirely new to a raw diet, then we highly recommend transitioning with our Transitioning meal before providing any of the other mixes (Basic, Intermediate, Deluxe & Game.)
If you’ve never fed your dog or cat a raw diet – don’t worry. We will guide you through our easy-to-follow transition process.
We highly recommend purchasing our Transitioning mix (PMR or BARF).
- Weeks 1–2: offer your dog or cat the RAW K-9 Transitioning meal for breakfast and their usual meal from their previous diet for dinner. If you have a puppy/kitten, offer lunch & dinner previous diet.
- Weeks 3-4: offer your dog or cat a meal from our RAW K-9 Transitioning range for breakfast and dinner. If you have a puppy/kitten offer a previous diet for lunch.
- Weeks 5-6: Give your dog or cat a full-time meal from our RAW K-9 Basic range. No more previous diet.
You will know that your pet has successfully transitioned by the firmness of their stools. At this point (usually in Week 3 or 4).
Don’t worry! We will be with you every step of the transitioning process. We provide heaps of advice and help; you can call us anytime.
Sometimes dogs or cats are reluctant to try new food. Our easy-to-follow transition process is designed to overcome their resistance by alternating our transitioning meal with one of their usual meals:
If your pet is super fussy, we recommend only offering small amounts mixed with food you know they will eat, or you can try searing the meat (do not cook the bone pieces) and then offering it to your pet. Searing the meat releases yummy aromas and can be less daunting than raw.
There is no doubt that dogs and cats are designed to consume meat: the hydrochloric acid in a pet’s stomach acts to protect against pathogens by neutralising them during digestion; their digestive system is short and designed to quickly digest foods that do not require fermenting (like grains do).
RAW K-9 is fortunate enough to work closely with local Australian farmers and butchers, meaning your companion can enjoy premium, human-grade, fresh raw pet food without any preservatives, chemicals, or additives.
Health And Safety For Pets And People
Feeding your dog or cat raw food is safe – if you do it correctly with the best quality ingredients.
One of the concerns people raise about raw food diets is that the diets may not be well-balanced and may not meet your pet’s nutritional requirements. It’s important to realise that not all raw diets are equal. In our case, concern for the wellness of your dog or cat is at the heart of everything we do. A reputable pet nutritionist oversees our raw diets which have been designed with the health and well-being of your dog or cat front and centre.
The wellness of your pets means everything to us. That’s why we care for them as we do for our own by ensuring our raw food products and processes are as safe as possible. These are some of the protections we have in place:
- We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and the integrity of our service.
- We only use human-grade ingredients from suppliers that we trust and have a relationship with. We do our own quality checking to make sure the ingredients live up to our standards.
- As a small family-owned and very hands-on company, we control all aspects of the food preparation and packing to make sure our hygiene standards are met.
- Our diets are overseen by a qualified pet nutritionist – Clare from HUNDE, and we are certified in Food Safety Handling and Hygienic Practices.
- All our meals and treats are prepared, packaged, and blast froze in our modern industry-approved facility and complied with Safe Food Australia Standard 3.2.3, which ensures the following:
- that the layout of our premises minimises opportunities for food contamination
- that our food premises, fixtures, fittings, equipment, and transport vehicles are designed and constructed to be cleaned and, where necessary, sanitised
- that our premises are provided with the essential services of water, waste disposal, light, ventilation, cleaning, personal hygiene facilities, storage space, and access to toilets.
- Store raw food for your pet as you would store food for yourself. Raw meat should be kept frozen until used. The temperature of your freezer should be close to -18˚C
- Store your refrigerated and frozen raw dog foods separately from the family foods.
- Thaw raw food in your refrigerator. Set your refrigerator to 0 – 4˚C.
- Tightly cover refrigerated pet food.
- Throw out old or spoiled pet food safely, for example, by placing it in a securely tied plastic bag in a covered trash can.
- treats, and touching surfaces that have come into contact with raw meat, wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water.
- Handle separately from human food, with separate kitchen equipment (or the same equipment washed thoroughly after use). Thoroughly clean and disinfect all surfaces and objects that come in contact with raw pet food. First, wash with hot soapy water and then follow with a disinfectant. You can also run items through the dishwasher to clean and disinfect them after each use.
- Don’t rinse raw meat, poultry, fish, and seafood. Bacteria in the raw juices can splash and spread to other food and surfaces.
- After each use, wash pet food bowls and scooping utensils with soap and hot water.
- Do not use your pet’s food bowl as a scooping utensil. Use a clean scoop, spoon, or cup instead. Use the scooping utensil only for scooping pet food.
- Don’t kiss your pet around its mouth or let it lick your face after it has eaten raw food.
Note: if you have very young or old family members in your household or someone who are immunocompromised and more susceptible to illness, you need to be especially careful about handling raw meat.
A very common misconception about feeding bones is that bones are dangerous and shouldn’t be fed to dogs. Raw bones are great for your pet and are totally safe! They provide your pet with high doses of calcium and phosphorus. Unlike cooked bones, raw bones are soft and easily digestible. Dehydrated and cooked bones do not contain moisture, which makes them hard, causing them to splinter when eaten and become difficult to digest. Never feed cooked bones.
We highly recommend feeding raw bones appropriate to your dog’s raw experience, age, and weight. If you are unsure about which bone to offer your pet, please get in touch.
All of our products are vacuumed and sealed in a commercial-grade chamber to extend the shelf life of the ingredients. If stored correctly in a freezer, our pre-packaged meals and raw treats will last up to 3 months. These meals will last up to 5 days if stored in a fridge. Your order will stay in its freshest state up until the expiry date stamped on your delivery box.
We offer a delivery service to NSW, ACT, VIC, and QLD. To see if we deliver to your zone/suburb, please click <here> to view our full delivery area list.
All orders need to be placed by 9 am Wednesday for next week’s delivery day. If your order is placed after 9 am Wednesday, it will be logged for the following week.
There is an over-one-week turnaround for VIC, QLD, and some NSW orders. Our prep team and logistics company need plenty of notice to ensure your order is made in full and then delivered to the requested address on time.
Depending on your delivery postcode, we deliver on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays only for NSW, ACT, and most of QLD and VIC. However, some VIC and QLD postcodes may be delivered on a different day. We will confirm via email what day your order will be delivered.
When selecting a delivery time bracket, please take into consideration whether or not your order will be safe until you can collect it. We do not recommend customers who live in a unit block to select the 00:00–07:00 bracket, as orders can be stolen. RAW K-9 will not be responsible for orders that have been stolen following delivery.
You are asked to enter and submit your delivery instructions at the checkout. Please leave as much detail as possible so our courier company can deliver your order exactly as you requested. If you do not leave instructions, our courier service will leave your order in the safest place possible.
All raw products are blast-frozen prior to leaving. They come pre-packaged in a plastic vacuum-sealed pouch. All deliveries come in a high-grade cardboard box with ice pack/s so that your order stays cool if you are not there to accept the delivery. Your order will stay at a safe temperature for up to 10 hours from its delivery time.
Delivery is charged at $10, $12, or $25 depending on your delivery address. This is calculated at the checkout.
Yes. Once your order has arrived, our courier service will send you a text message with a photo as evidence of delivery, so please ensure you add your mobile number to your delivery address. Landlines will not be accepted and email notifications are not sent out.
You will need to store the meals in a freezer and fridge when thawing. Pre-packaged meals are flat-packed and vacuum-sealed, allowing you to stack the meals neatly in your fridge or freezer. We suggest that if you are concerned with the amount of freezer space you have, simply order one week’s worth at first. Remember, we give you the option to buy in weekly, fortnightly, and monthly quantities, which allows you to estimate the number of meals you can hold at any one time.
Please note that larger raw treats take up more space than pre-packaged meals.
We’ve taken all the hard work out of feeding your dog or cat a healthy balanced raw food diet. No need to find raw food recipes. All the measuring, preparing, and portioning have been done for you – and we deliver the food to your door, ready to thaw and serve. Just open the meal packets and dish up.
It is best to feed your pet its meals completely defrosted purely because your pet will enjoy it more. The best way to achieve this is to leave the pre-packaged meal on a bench overnight or during the day in a cool, dry area in the winter months. In summer, place pre-packaged meals in the fridge to defrost.
Come feeding time, if the meal is not wholly defrosted or you forgot to remove it from the freezer, simply place it in the sink in cool water to thaw out.
Each pre-packaged meal contains the exact quantity of food for your dog or cat. These meals are broken into breakfast, lunch, and dinner quantities.
- Puppies between 2–6 months need to be fed three packets per day
- 7–12 month puppies and 1+ year adult dogs need to be fed two packets per day
- Kittens between 2–6 months need to be fed three packets per day
- Kittens between 7–12 months need to be fed two packets per day
- 1+ year adult cats need to be fed one packet per day
These meal ratios are only guidelines. If you feel your pet is putting on/losing too much weight, contact us so we can alter their feeding ratios as required.
It is best to feed you dog its meals completely defrosted purely because your dog will enjoy it more. The best way to achieved this is to leave the pre-packaged meal on a bench over night or during the day in a cool, dry area in the winter months. In summer, place pre-packaged meals in the fridge to defrost.
Come feeding time if the meal is not completely defrosted or you forgot to remove it from the freezer, simply place it in the sink in cool water to thaw out.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, and Paypal.
You need to set your payment day 6, 7, or 9 days BEFORE you would like your delivery. When changing your payment date, please note that your payment needs to be successfully processed by 9 am on a Wednesday. If you need help selecting a date, please contact us directly at 0468 307 548 or email [email protected]
All payments are securely processed over an encrypted connection (SSL). Your card information never touches our servers. PayPal or Stripe handles all orders and payment processing.
We offer a 10% discount on your first order.
No. We offer weekly, fortnightly, or monthly subscriptions.
About Raw K-9
Raw K-9 is privately owned and operated by Bryony and Ben – proud owners of two staffies, Bo and Nala. When Bo was diagnosed with alopecia, the vets told Bryony and Ben that their beloved fur baby would be on powerful medication for life and would eventually be bald.
Ben and Bryony refused to accept the diagnosis and started researching the condition to find a cure. The answer lay in Bo’s diet – kibble was making him ill. They switched him to a natural raw diet, and he was a different dog within weeks! His coat grew back, his breath smelt better, his teeth were whiter and cleaner – and he was bouncier and healthier than he had ever been.
A balanced raw diet transformed Bo’s health. When Nala came along, she was introduced to a top-quality raw diet as soon as she was weaned. Today, Nala is an example of what a healthy dog should be, with perfect posture, bone structure, teeth and gums, coat, and digestion.
The results of switching to a natural, raw diet for both dogs were so dramatic, Bryony and Ben felt compelled to share their discovery with others. They founded Raw K-9 and became certified pet nutritionists. Based on extensive research and advice, they developed a range of human-grade, fresh, pure, and natural raw diets that would restore wellness to Australian dogs and cats.
Raw K-9 is truly unique. No other raw food pet company in Australia offers what we do in the way we do:
Human-grade ingredients – ALWAYS!
Our family-owned Australian company feeds your pets and ours with the same high-quality meats that we would consume ourselves. We use only fresh, locally sourced ingredients that are both nutritious and delicious.
We provide top-quality proteins rich in essential amino acids sourced from powerhouse ingredients such as green tripe, game, and raw edible bones.
100% raw and pure
We don’t cook our food, so none of the goodness is lost. You won’t find preservatives, artificial additives, or fillers either. We hide nothing in our freshly prepared meals – the yummy goodies you see in the bowl are literally what you get.
Chopped not minced
To fully benefit from their food, dogs, and cats require tearing, biting, chewing, and shredding it. Our meals are filled with delicious chunks that pets enjoy biting into.
The value of tripe
Unlike our competitors, we use unprocessed tripe, a powerhouse of digestive enzymes and probiotics with heaps of life-giving benefits for your pet.
Absolutely no mess and hassle-free
Made fresh, blast frozen in portion sizes, and delivered to your door. Ready to freeze or serve – it couldn’t be easier.
Our diets are based on science and are overseen by a highly experienced pet nutritionist. Our meals contain all the necessary nutrients such as proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and protective nutrients in their natural and raw form that are best for your pet.
Varied, interesting meals
Our diets are varied and interesting and are designed to keep your pet returning for more.
Peace of Mind
We’ve done all the research, measurements, and portioning for you, so you can be sure your pets are getting what they need. No need to worry about contamination during handling either. Our modern, hygienic facilities comply with Safe Food Australia Standard 3.2.3. We do it all. All you need to do is serve up and sit back.
The wellness of your pets means everything to us.
We know what your pet means to you. It was a concern for the well-being of our gorgeous dog Bo and the amazing difference that a raw diet made to his health that led us to found Raw K-9.
We LOVE What We Do
Raw K-9 is more than a job for us – it is our life. We are committed to keeping abreast of all the latest developments in pet nutrition so that your – and our – fur babies can live their best lives!
Yes. RAW K-9 is an ethical and sustainable company. Taking care of your pets ethically, humanely, and sustainably means that honesty and integrity must be at the heart of everything we do.
From the very start, we were committed to providing quality ingredients for our customers. Then we realised, we couldn’t stop there. Quality had to be our hallmark in everything we did – from choosing the best suppliers to delivering the meals to your door. In fact, we needed to go beyond that.
We know exactly how confusing raw food diets can be, especially if you are new to the concept. We couldn’t leave our customers to get on with it, so we came up with our Transitioning program, where we guide our customers and their pets as they start their raw food journey.
From here, we provide help and advice for as long as they need us. A huge bonus from the program has been the relationships we have built with owners and pets as we take them step by step through the process. Our customers have become our friends, so there’s even more pressure to do the right thing for them – and this is how we do it:
Integrity In Ingredients
Human-grade ingredients – always
We feed your pets – and ours – the same quality meats that we would eat ourselves. We’re a family-owned Australian company and all of our nutritious and delicious ingredients are fresh and locally sourced.
100% raw and pure food
We don’t cook our food, so none of the goodness is lost.
Chopped not minced
Dogs and cats need to tear, bite, chew, and shred their food to get the most benefit from it. Our meals are full of bitey, chunky deliciousness that pets love.
Integrity In Process
Our meals have all the essential proteins, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, and protective nutrients in the specific proportions and raw natural form that is best for your pet. Our BARF diet is formulated to be AAFCO compliant.
We are certified pet nutritionists and draw on the advice and experience of a highly qualified nutritional advisor. We don’t ‘set and forget’ when it comes to our diets; we fine-tune our meals to improve nutritional content even more or to provide variety and interest.
Providing Peace of Mind
We’ve done all the research, measurements, and portioning for you, so you can be sure your pets are getting what they need. Our advising nutritionist double-checks that our diets meet nutritional requirements. We follow the voluntary standards code for the pet food industry, we are certified in Food Safety Handling and Hygienic Practices, and our modern, hygienic facilities comply with Safe Food Australia Standard 3.2.3.
Integrity In Suppliers
We only use human-grade ingredients from Australian suppliers we trust and have a relationship with. We do our own quality checking to ensure the ingredients live up to our quality and ethical standards. Where possible, we source locally, and we select our fresh fruit and veg from the Sydney markets.
Integrity In Service
As a small family-owned and hands-on company, we control all aspects of our products and service. We wanted Raw K-9 to be the kind of company we would trust with the health and wellbeing of our pets. That’s why our service doesn’t stop with your order delivery. We keep the conversation going to find out more about you and your fur babies. We will keep researching, innovating, and growing to help your cats and dogs live their happiest and healthiest lives. That’s a promise.
All of our suppliers provide human-grade ingredients that are sold for human consumption. You will find their products in fine restaurants and retail outlets across Australia.
Our Beef Supplier
Our meat is sourced from a 100% Australian family-owned company that has been in operation for over 60 years. The company is also known for pioneering the application of food safety reforms and employing local people wherever possible.
Our Kangaroo and Game Suppliers
We have two kangaroo suppliers. One owns 2 of the five export-accredited kangaroo plants in Australia. Kangaroo meat is carefully managed and falls under government regulations. It must be sourced from ‘abundant and healthy free-ranging populations.’ As a licensed operator, our supplier must follow animal welfare regulations and strict quotas, which are scientifically set and regularly monitored. Only four species of kangaroo are permitted for commercial harvesting.
Our other kangaroo supplier has been serving kangaroo and game meat for over 40 years and is respected as representing the highest quality control standards from gate to plate. This supplier’s business was born from a passion for the game and has shaped game bird farming in Australia. They raise speciality game birds across NSW using small-scale boutique farming methods.
They also supply us with Malleeroo kangaroo sourced from the finest Western Grey kangaroos in Australia’s Central Southern areas. These areas are dominated by Mallee trees and shrubs where the kangaroos graze on natural vegetation such as coarse grasses, leaves, tree bark, and shrubby bushes.
Our Chicken Supplier
This family firm is a household name that has been putting food on Australian tables for over 100 years. Their integrated poultry operation enables them to provide top-quality turkeys and chickens that have been quality-monitored from farm to plate. Consumers recognise their brand as representing high standards and continuous innovation.
Our refrigerated courier service providers are also family-run businesses. They have been operating since 1996 and now have branches nationwide. The company is a market leader with uniquely sophisticated monitoring and management systems. Their service is complete and customised; they don’t outsource to third parties, and they don’t take ad hoc work, which means they are consistently and reliably available to service Raw K-9 customers.
We love animals. It was a concern for the health and well-being of our dog Bo that led us to start Raw K-9. Our love of animals ensures we provide the best quality food possible for your dogs and cats. It also means that we care about the humane treatment of the animals that pass through the abattoirs and poultry processors that we have selected to supply Raw K-9.
Taking care of your pets ethically, humanely, and sustainably means that honesty and integrity must be at the heart of everything we do.